Thursday, April 25, 2013



Should I teach my child safety 
by teaching him to listen to his feelings?




A Dad's Perspective


In our home it was never about our feelings. Feelings come and go. Feelings are confusing and contradictory. Growing up, there was something more important to pay attention to. There was something that never changes that dictated our decisions; morality.


Getting dressed was never about my mood. It was about treating my body with respect and preserving its dignity.


I was not taught to eat what makes me feel good. I was taught to eat foods that will make my body strong and keep it healthy.


I was taught to hug grandma no matter what I feel because it will make her happy. Bubby’s happiness is the important thing, not my feelings.


I was taught that my body is holy.


Nobody may touch my body inappropriately. Not because it feels wrong, but because a body should not be touched like that. Ever. No matter what I feel.


I was taught that my body helps me do all the things that need to get done. My body helps me to make the world a better, kinder, happier place.


My body is not here to help me get what I want; rather it was given to me so that I may give others what they need. I was not taught to focus on the feelings of my own pleasures, but something much more important. I was taught to feel the pleasure of giving.


I am older now but some things never change. In my marriage I know that I am never entitled to my wife’s body. My greatest pleasure is from being in tune to her needs and filling them.


We do not make our feeling important. We make important the will of the creator who put us here for a reason. He teaches us how to treat other people. He teaches us the rights and wrongs of how to treat our bodies. We do not rely on our feelings to teach us that. 



What will your child’s bottom line be? 


No comments:

Post a Comment